Part Five: Johnstown Proper: Although Johnstown has lost a good deal of manufacturing the City still has a lot to offer including several great museums, walking tours, the historic Inclined Plane to Westmont, Point Park and a Minor League Baseball Stadium among other key features that are part of the Johnstown Area Heritage Association. Below are several images made over the past five years of the City Center, exploring both the City's relationship with the railroads as well as the landscape and architecture in general.
Photographs & History
Part Four: Johnstown's Old Conemaugh Section: Moving into Johnstown from Franklin we enter a historic neighborhood that at one time was served by several railroads. The Baltimore and Ohio’s Somerset & Cambria Branch was a line incorporated in 1879, to tap local coal resources and serve the Bethlehem works. Though not nearly the operation of the PRR, the B&O nonetheless maintained a presence in town. Coming up from the South along the Stonycreek River, the line comes into the Old Conemaugh Section of town and forks, moving West toward a connection with the C&BL along Washington Street, and East along the sprawling Gautier Works between Clinton and Short Street toward the former Station area and Freight house that still stands today.
As mentioned the B&O and C&BL served the Gautier Works located along Clinton Street, accessing the sprawling facility from the North Side. The Gautier Works produced wire fencing, plows and other steel products for the agriculture industry. The size of this facility is quite evident from high views such as the one afforded from the surrounding hill sides.
Part Three: Franklin
Franklin is directly across from East Conemaugh, spread in two small neighborhoods, the eastern section is stacked on the hillside overlooking the former mill and river valley, once a home to many steel workers and the actual “hot side” of the Johnstown Works.
Further West, down Rt 271, heading South West, you cross the Conemaugh River and enter the western end of town, including a small area of housing and churches that also was home to the Rail Car Division later spun off to FreightCar America Works, which was to become one of the last remaining steel related manufacturing facilities of the former Bethlehem Johnstown Works.
In 2008 the works closed its doors, taking much need jobs and tax revenue from this struggling little town. As of the Fall of 2010, the facility was being leveled, ending hopes of manufacturing jobs that were once plentiful in a small town with big industry.
Looking west from the 17th Street Bridge, no less than four main tracks pass underneath you and in front of ALTO tower, the last remaining tower of 6 that originally guided trains through the busy terminal area of Altoona PA. Built in 1910, the quaint but weathered structure stands equipped with a typical Union Switch and Signal Electro-pneumatic interlocking plant. Through consolidation over the years, the tower's territory was expanded with the addition of CTC machines to control traffic through SLOPE (West of Alto), ANTIS, HOMER, ROSE, AND WORKS (All East of ALTO).
In addition to the steady flow of traffic coming off Horseshoe Curve eastbound, heavy westbounds will stop for helpers here for the assist up the stiff grade to the summit of the Allegheny Mountains. While Altoona is not the Company town it was for the PRR, Norfolk Southern utilizes the Juniata Shops for heavy overhaul projects for both their equipment and contract work to other railroads. In addition the heritage and stories of the PRR live on at the Altoona Railroader's Memorial Museum, soon to be the home again to K4's 1361.