Following up from an image posted in November, here we are again in the steel city of Coatesville PA along the Mainline, this time looking across the tracks at the remains of the historic 1865 station house. From the Westbound side looking South, the remaining segment of the station canopy and more details of the battered station building are visible. Immediately to the West is the well know stone arch bridge over Brandywine Creek, an impressive structure built with the typical stone and craftsmanship seen all across the former Pennsy Mainline.
Photographs & History
Further West of the Junction of the Mainline and Philadelphia and Trenton Branch in Thorndale and East of the Junction of the Atglen and Susquehanna Branch, the Freight bypass to Enola Yard in Harrisburg, lays an Industrial town called Coatesville. Situated in the Brandywine Creek Valley, Coatesville, plays host to the former Lukens Steel Mill Complex, a "mini mill" facility that produces high quality plate and slab steel. While the mill is still active the town is very reminiscent of areas like Johnstown and Bethlehem, some neighborhoods in need of much attention. The station house, located at Third and Fleetwood Streets, is currently shuttered and vacant. The historic structure dates back from 1865, according to the City and has served a long career for the PRR and its predecessors. Currently, one or two sections of the Eastbound canopy still stand, and the Westbound Platform has a lone and battered bus shelter for passengers. While not all buildings have the opportunity to be saved or restored, this Station would certainly be a great candidate and much needed anchor for the surrounding neighborhood.